Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Practicing Not Panicking

It just struck me how many times a day I have to tell myself not to panic/feel dismayed about Covid/my PhD thesis/my injured shoulder. The second wave of Covid is looming on the horizon and I feel I don't wash my hands enough; my shoulder injury is healing so I would feel silly going to a chiropractor, but not as fast as I would like; and I am in a critical stage of my PhD when on some days it feels like all the ideas buzzing in my head and are all coming together into a coherent argument, while on other days it feels like they are flying further apart. But, the good news is I feel like I am getting better at telling myself not to panic/feel disheartened. The post-it notes I wrote about yesterday are helping, as is regular Yoga, as is blogging. I have also tried to reduce as many stressors as I can from my life. I have banned myself from online dating for the next few months because I am getting my fill of disillusion and dispirit from writing my PhD. I have also decided not to apply for a prestigious post-doc because it would distract me from my PhD. So, I would say I am doing well to plod along, ignoring as best I can the prospect of catching Covid or getting thrown off the PhD writing track by a job application that I expect to land any day now. 

No comments: