Sunday, September 20, 2020

India vs US

 I had a long discussion with a friend over the phone about which country's future is darker. The topic came up in the context of him thinking about moving back to India and me trying to discourage him. As you would expect, it was a thoroughly depressing exercise. Sometimes, the reality is too grave for it to be marshalled in arguments and arguing over a hierarchy of atrocities and instances of institutional collapse feels pointless. In fact, engaging in any intellectual exercise at this point feels facile. Reason will not our salvation, only love and kindness will. 

I encouraged him to see a counsellor,  and in hindsight, I am not sure it was sound advice. I am obviously discouraging him from moving back and want him to examine whether he is unhappy because he is living in the US, or due to some other reason. But, he has never said he is unhappy, he has only been saying he doesn't want to live in the US, for various reasons. Suggesting someone see a counsellor because you don't agree with their decision (and an emotional decision, at that) is not great advice. Pathologizing an emotional decision you disagree with doesn't sound like a ethical thing to do, especially to a friend. But, then again, men are not great at vocalizing when they feel depressed. They often attribute their blues to a specific set of circumstances or people, rather than something deeper. So, maybe I was right after all. 

No comments: