Sunday, September 27, 2020

Birthday Wishes to Build Bridges

Birthdays are a perfect occasion to build bridges with someone you may have fallen out with. A minor fallout, not a flaming row, in which case you wouldn't give two hoots about their birthday. Birthday wishes can be an excuse to reach out to someone while protecting yourself from the possibility that your overtures will be rebuffed. Especially, if you believe you have been wronged and the other person should make the first move to build bridges. Some years ago, I would have let bygones be bygones and made the fist move, irrespective of who was at bigger fault. I am not that person any more, for better or worse. I have also stopped making the effort to keep in touch with old friends who make little effort themselves. Maybe it is pride, maybe it is increased self-respect, chances are it is a bit of both. But, sending birthday greetings is an innocuous gesture that let's you show you are prepared to move on while keeping your dignity in your own eyes. 

No comments: