Thursday, September 24, 2020

Last Weekend of Socializing

Covid infections are spreading faster than anyone imagined and we could soon be back in a lockdown. I am a new friend tomorrow and an old friend over the weekend. This is the most active my social life has been this year, as this could be the last weekend socializing is permitted. I was prepared for a locked down winter but the pace at which things are moving we could be in lockdown sooner than that. The season is also turning--since yesterday it has become noticeably colder. We might still have some more warm days, but as the days get shorter the warmth will dissipate faster and the nights will be cold. 

We might be under lockdown for most of autumn and winter but it will still be an eventful few months for me. My PhD is the crunch phase and I will also be applying for a job in my university. Today, I got confirmation that the job ad will be posted which sent me into a bit of a tizzy. A friend over the weekend said I will only finish my PhD when I am forced to by circumstances such as an upcoming job or the expiry of a visa, etc. Till then, I will continue to be paralysed by the quest for perfection (my words, not his). But, today, I felt a little paralyzed by the thought a juggling a job application and my PhD. Things seem to be moving a little too fast, even though I want them to move fast to spur me to finish my thesis. Be careful what you wish for. But, I guess I just have to rise to the moment. 

No comments: