Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Instant Regret

 Having to record a teaching sample video for a job interview is a nerve-wrecking experience. I spent almost three days to prepare it, suffering frequent bouts of mental exhaustion. I decided to record the final video this morning, when I was fresh. Then I started obsessing over every detail. Should I reword this bit, should I highlight this term on this slide? I toyed with changing something, but then that would mean recording the whole video from scratch again and I couldn't bring myself to do it. But, the moment I sent off the final video I was hit with a wave of regret. What if that minor error, which is not even strictly an error, wrecks my chances? I had a peaceful start to the day, and was wondering when the cycle would turn and I would be wracked with anxiety. I had no hopes that the tranquillity would continue right up to and and past the interview. The question is what is to be done? The video has been sent. I will have to recall the video with apologies and send a new one. Neither prospect is appealing at all. And, should I really be feeding my anxiety? What is the worst that could happen if I don't do anything? They will point out their problems with the offending part, and I will accept my error and move on. 

No comments: