Saturday, September 18, 2021

Compartmentalizing

 The next few weeks and months are going to test my powers to compartmentalize. I am going to have to divide my attention between proving myself in a new job and finishing my PhD. Not stress about my job when I am working on my PhD, and vice versa. And, at the same time, make sure my housemates don't drive me crazy. And, try not to catch Covid. Phew! I am taking heart from the fact that my PhD progress picked up pace when I taught last semester. But, as a friend pointed out, I didn't have a full teaching load at that point and neither was I so eager to prove myself. Suffice to say that in the next few months, I am going to have to call upon all my reserves of fortitude. I will have to be kind to myself, to be on the lookout for signs of burnout, because if I don't I am certain to burnout. But, the good thing is I have gotten better at observing myself, and taking a step back when it feels like I am running on fumes. 

No comments: