Tuesday, December 22, 2020
Winter Solstice
When the clocks go back in autumn, it usually takes me a a week or two to adjust to the shorter days. Not this year. I adjusted to the shorter days without a hitch. Having my tea while listening to the radio in the dark is one of my daily pleasures. So, although today is winter solstice, and the days will get longer from tomorrow is not a momentous occasion for me. Although, I don't mind the dark and I don't mind the cold, this winter is far from over. Covid is raging, I have fallen out with a close friend, and my short experience of the job market has left a bitter taste in my mouth. My solution is to wrap myself in the comfort blanket of solitude. It is better to rage in private than to add to the public stockpile of rage. If all goes to plan, the rest of the winter will be a time of reflection, stillness and frenetic intellectual effort directed at my PhD thesis.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment