I have taken after my maternal grandfather in over-optimizing. My grandfather was one of the people who sought the most efficient way to do even the most trivial of things. And, he would insist that it be done that way, even if the savings of time and effort were marginal. He got away with it because of his charm and amazing sense of humor. But, I've noticed that I have over-optimization has become a habit for me too. Today, I left something cooking on the stove too long because I was finishing washing up while it was cooking to save time. I wasn't even in a hurry. As a consequence, I overcooked the dish. While it wasn't a total disaster, it was an entirely avoidable outcome.
So, I've decided to go about my chores more mindfully. I find doing chores destressing because it is a tactile activity that doesn't involve typing on a keyboard or starting at an electronic screen. But, I especially enjoy cooking and I am, I dare I say, a pretty decent cook. So, I should savour it more. yes, maybe that would be easier if I wasn't sharing a kitchen. I enjoy having the kitchen to myself when I cook, so I like to extend the same courtesy to my housemates. During Covid times, I try not to be in the same room as them. Then again, none of the others are big cooks, so there isn't exactly a queue to use the kitchen. In fact, my newest housemate and I have done such a great job of avoiding each other that we bumped into each other after weeks today. And, staggering timings is also an option. I am quite an observant person so I easily pick up on other people's routines and habits.
No comments:
Post a Comment