Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Teaching Your Body To move Differently

 I am realising how difficult it is to teach your body to move differently, especially if the status quo is not particularly painful. I have a rotator cuff injury caused by rounded shoulders. The manifestation of the injury was pain in my elbow, which started early in lockdown when I took up an intensive exercise routine. I ignored the pain, but it got worse. So, I took a break from exercises for two months. While the pain subsided, it came roaring back when I resumed exercises. So, I decided to see an osteopath. The exercises haven't worked like magic. But, I persisted, because there seemed like I could not do anything else. My shoulder is apparently improving, but I only have to the osteopath's word for it. I wish he had given me an exercise that I could see myself getting progressively better at with time. But, most of these exercises are rendered useless, or even harmful, if I do not manage to keep my right scapula in alce while doing them. And, its been a struggle to stabilize my scapula. I don't know how many years of practice I am having to undo and every time I do the exercises, I get frustrated because I feel like I am not doing them correctly. I am having to draw on my hidden reserves of patience and fortitude. My latest idea is to visualize my scapula stabilizing and getting stronger. I wonder how far that will take me. 

No comments: