Saturday, December 19, 2020

Waiting: The Theme Of This Month

 Waiting seems to be the theme of the month for me. I spent a week waiting for the outcome of a job I wasn't particularly keen on. And, now I am waiting anxiously for the result of a Covid test. I was an idiot and put a friend of mine, and her housemate, at risk of infection because I neglected to mention to her that my housemate was waiting for the result of her test. Said friend didn't take it well at all, and now I am dreading of the thought of informing her if the test comes positive. The spectrum of possible disaster stretches from me testing positive to her or her housemate failing ill with Covid. In the case of the latter, the guilt would be limitless. While I was waiting for the outcome of the job application, I thought neither outcome was preferable. Being shortlisted would mean I would have to prepare to interview for a job I didn't really want. Not being shortlisted would mean a blow to my confidence. but at least the outcome would put an end to the uncertainty. During my current wait, there is no such ambiguity. A positive test would set the stage for at least one more week of anxiety, till my friend gets past the virus incubation period. So, in this case, a delayed outcome is no worse than a positive test result. The clock is ticking on my friend's incubation period anyway. 

No comments: