Monday, December 21, 2020

Panic-Buying Returns

 I trooped to Aldi at 7:00 am today, braving the rain, to beat the panic-buyers. France had closed its UK border to both passenger and freight traffic overnight. Since the UK imports most of its fruits and veggies from Europe, the news was bound to set off panic-buying. And, set off panic-buying it did. When I reached the store, the racks were so full that many goods had been left on trollies beside the racks. The store staff were gearing up for the onslaught. My panic-buying capacity is limited by fridge space, carrying capacity since I don't have a car and thriftiness. But, I, too, found myself buying more than I would require over the next week. I have criticized the when-in-doubt-shop attitude of the UK public, but a bit of panic-buying reduces your helplessness in the face of panic. When you have little so control over the future, you double down on things that are still within your control, such as what is in your shopping court. And a public primed for consumption cannot respond in any other way. Consume when you are sad, happy, anxious, joyous. 

No comments: