This morning, I had decided to work on my thesis bibliography because I was feeling too fatigued to do anything more intellectually taxing. What I was not prepared for was to see an email from housemate saying she had tested positive for Covid. She had told us she was getting tested a few days ago, but she had a cold so we all assumed that was the reason she was feeling under the weather. I felt a pang of disappointment because I had just seen a friend last evening after two months and would have to convey the news to her. Also, there was the fear that I had caught Covid too, although I was and am symptomless. But, I did what I do best under anxiety which is I swung into action. I saw the email at 10:05 am and had booked a test for 11am on the testing site on campus by 10:15 am. I then packed all the things I would need over the Christmas break as that might have been my last time in the office before the two-week closure. After the test, I also got some provisions from the store, in breach of Covid rules.
I texted my sister to ask if I should tell my parents and she advised against it until I got my result. I hope they are not reading this blog. If I had told them they would have bombarded me with home remedies guaranteed to keep Covid away and also worried themselves sick. When I saw my housemate's email this morning, it triggered my anxiety. That familiar feeling of lightheadedness that had made my life so miserable three years ago. But, it wasn't very strong, and I have gotten better at not getting panicked by it. Once it swung into action, it subsided, and passed completely within a few hours. I know it will come back again, especially if I start showing symptoms but I am prepared for it as best as I can be. I whiled away the rest of my afternoon, but managed to pull myself together to do my shoulder exercises, and yoga. I did a practice for disasters, which made me feel much better. This is not a disaster yet, but I needed a preemptive boost. All I can do is take all possible precautions, and keep my spirits up. My survival instinct is very keen so I am not worried that I will slack on the precautions.
No comments:
Post a Comment