Another movie that I thought was a classic fell from grace today. The plot revolves around a shy "nice guy" who stalks his love interest but cannot seem to summon the courage to talk to her. When another more assertive suitor enters the picture the young men seeks coaching from a retired army officer to toughen up. I remember watching this movie on a family holiday in Kodaikanal when I was 11, and enjoying it greatly. When I watched it today, the plot and premise seemed downright cringeworthy, Is it fair to judge old movies by today's norms? Especially, old Indian movies, since I have spent a long time in the West now, and have presumably absorbed some Western mores? I don't know about fairness, but it sure makes life more difficult. As it is, I struggle to find stuff I enjoy watching. But, the question of fairness is moot. If a movie offends your sensibilities you cannot enjoy it, end of story. One cannot talk oneself into enjoying a movie.
Wednesday, December 23, 2020
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment