Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Crimped Horizons

 How little into the future is it possible to look? I have been practicing two-three days, consciously trying not to look beyond that. I don't know if the uni campus will reopen next week, and if it does whether I will feel safe going back. The only luxury I am permitting myself is a plan to go for a run either on 31st Dec. or 1st Jan. Further out, I don't know if I will be teaching next semester or how my long I will take to complete, when I will get a job, when I will get a vaccine, when I will visit India again or when I will be able to step out of Bristol, when I will go on a date again. Is it possible to bring forward the horizon so much that you are not tempted to look beyond a few days? One thing I have noticed myself doing more is looking back. I have always been a sucker for nostalgia, but in the past few weeks long-forgotten moments from the past have been coming back to me. If the future is infinite, so is the past. 

No comments: