Friday, December 25, 2020

Christmas Alone

 I have spent three of the past four Christmases with my aunt and cousins in Brighton. Although I am not big on Christmas traditions or any sort of traditions, it is a welcome change of scene and change of pace and its nice to spend some time with family. This year, when a change of scene and pace would have been most welcome, I spent it alone in my shared house. My going to Brighton this year was always out of the question. But, I was hoping for a nice local Christmas meal with friends, and, in fact, had two offers till last week. Alas, that was not to be either. My housemate tested positive for Covid, and since I had carelessly socialized before her result came, the shit hit the fan. I hurriedly excused myself from Christmas plans, because I decided I just couldn't take any more drama over me potentially infecting someone. One thing I have learnt the hard way is there are no social norms about what is acceptable behaviour as far as the risk of infecting others is concerned. People have vastly different expectations, and often hold others to standards they wouldn't hold themselves to. Covid rage is real, and one most tread carefully to preserve friendships threatened by differing attitudes to Covid. So, yes, I knew a week ago that I would be spending Christmas alone. Naturally, I couldn't be bothered to celebrate it. It was just like any other day except that it was exceptionally sunny. I decided to go for a walk during midday, thinking that at that time most people would be busy prepping their Christmas dinners. I only expected to find lonely singletons out and about on the downs. Alas, that was not to be, and the downs were teeming with large families and dogs. Hey ho. I caught some sun and returned to get on with the rest of the day. I am sick of listening to Christmas carols so it will be a relief when radio programming schedules go back to normal from tomorrow. 

No comments: