One of the two events I was feeling nervous about passed today without much incident. I was expecting a sea of red as feedback for one of my PhD chapters from a colleague who is very analytically rigorous. Fortunately, that didn't come to pass, and while there she gave me numerous comments, none of them were soul-crushing. I am feeling much more confident about my core arguments now that they have passed muster with her.
As for the other event, I continue to wait to hear back about the job I want and don't want in equal measure. It is a distraction from my PhD writing. Or is it that I am latching on an excuse to procrastinate. Maybe a bit of both as is often the right answer to either/or questions. I am not going to kid myself that I would be writing thousands of words a day if not for this job decision. Maybe it is possible to be slightly nervous about the job outcome while continuing to be reasonably productive? And, maybe being reasonably productive is all I should aim for? I have had virtually zero bursts of productivity while writing my PhD thesis. Progress has been painfully and it feels like I have had to fight for every inch. But, there has been substantial progress and the end is now in sight. It feels like this PhD is writing itself while I am not looking.
No comments:
Post a Comment