Saturday, December 5, 2020

Scary Movie

 I watched a scary movie after years today. It was not the scariest I have seen, but it was enough to give me the heebijeebies. I had started watching it last weekend but gave it up after 5 minutes because I decided it was a stupid thing to during the pandemic. Why risk making the Covid nightmares worse? But, today  I decided to watch it because it has been a stressful week and next week might  be worse. I needed something to frighten the daylights out of me and banish all thoughts of work from my mind for a bit. Something to release all the pent-up stress. A mental release rather than the physical release I treat myself to every Sunday.

This was my first scary movie after the onset of my anxiety disorder, I could feel it trigger me, but I remained in that state between excitement and anxiety. My mind and body felt stimulated, but not panicky. I remember feeling the  same way when I watched a movie in a cinema with my friends a few months after anxiety first reared its head in my life. I remember trembling with excitement and jumping at every loud sound in the movie. But I felt better afterwards. Sometimes when you are on edge maybe it is better to overstimulate the nervous system and force a physical reaction in your body. 

No comments: