Thursday, October 1, 2020

Day 1 Of Emotional Distancing

 My first day of distancing myself from India news didn't go as well as I had hoped. Today was an unproductive day workwise and my problem is since I don't have a life outside work, when I am not working I end up on Twitter or news websites. I am going to resist the urge to whine about my lack of hobbies and senseless pastimes and move swiftly on. Today, I found myself visiting profiles on Twitter that I had unfollowed last night. But at least this way I am aware that I may encounter bad news, and bad news doesn't take me as much by surprise as when it lands in my Twitter feed. Emotional distancing is a gradual process and I shouldn't expect it to happen overnight. Weaning myself of Indian news won't be easy as the mind often craves the macabre even if mindful of the distress it may cause, like a moth drawn to a flame that burns it. Even if there is no way to cover my eyes, at elast I can ut up some filters between my eyes and the burning world.

No comments: