Saturday, October 17, 2020

Forcing Myself to Have No Opinion

In the latest installment of the shitstorm that is 2020, a Muslim teenager beheaded a teacher in Paris for showing cartoons of Prophet Mohammed to his class ostensibly exercising his right to free speech. The news made rightwingers and Islamophobes salivate, momentarily taking their attention from Covid conspiracy theories. I forced myself to have not to think about it, which might seem ironic since I am writing about it. But, I am actively suppressing my tendency to form an opinion about the incident. After the Charlie Hebdo murders in 2015, I found myself in intense debates about the incident spanning Eurocentric liberalism, and the need to condemn the murders while also criticizing Charlie Hebdo's Islamophobia. This time I am simply not interested in taking a position, however nuanced. I am not interested in contemplating the possible repercussions of the incident on stoking Islamophobia, on white liberals, on anything. Will I able to extend this attitude of detachment to incidents closer to my adopted or original home and save myself from a lot of angst? I don't know, but I am certainly going to try. 

No comments: