Sunday, October 4, 2020

Conspiracy Theories

This morning I had an argument with my Mum on Whatsapp about Covid-19 pandemic being planned by pharma companies. She had sent a link to a page with weak circumstantial evidence about how people had been warning about the pandemic. After my uncle pointed out that the author of the piece was a right-wing conspiracy theorist, my Mum said we didn't have to agree with everything he said. The argument spilt over into our evening telephone cal,l along with the evergreen debate about whether class or caste are the primary form of oppression in India today.

In ordinary times, I would be concerned that my Mum has an affinity towards right-wing conspiracy theories, but these are not ordinary times. Everyone is coping as best they can. In these emotional times, it feels neigh impossible to bring someone to your side of the argument with points that you find eminently reasonable. And, which the opposite person feels are steeped in emotion. It feels so difficult to see the opposite person's point of view in any debate that one wonders if there is any point in even trying. Maybe there isn't. Maybe verbal sparring helps people let off steam but I find it emotionally draining, especially with loved ones. I discuss the news and current affairs with my parents regularly and the conversation has always been amicable, except for today. While there was no shouting or screaming, there was definitely a sharp edge in the conversation. 

No comments: