Monday, October 26, 2020
Thinking About Writing Acknowledgements Too Soon
Last night, I read a Facebook post by an acquaintance about writing the acknowledgements of her PhD thesis. It went through all the people she was grateful for, ending with her saying she had decided not to have an acknowledgements page. It was nice to see someone else who was not a fan of acknowledgments. I didn't have one for my Master' thesis, and was toying with the idea of not having one for my PhD. Friends have helped me as friends, and family had supported me as family does, and my supervisor is brilliant and kind-hearted, if a little difficult to get hold of. But mostly by good fortune, but also by my hard-work and self-belief, I hadn't need "saving". There is no one who has made an sized contribution to my PHD, a person whom I can say if not them, I wouldn't be writing these words, or some such. Until it struck me that I was speaking to soon because the acknowledgements section is the very last thing people write in their PhD thesis. I am still a couple of months from submission, and might yet need saving. I might still wrack up debts that I might feel need acknowledgement in writing. All I can say is where I am right now, I don't feel like having an acknowledgements section. But my feelings might change when I am at the end of my PhD journey.. There will be a time to discuss my thoughts and feelings about writing acknowledgments, whether it is Anglo-centric, etc. etc. But now is not the time for that. There is still a lot of work to be done.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment