Sunday, October 18, 2020

Turning 35

 I was just going through what I wrote on my birthday last year. I had predicted I would have submitted my PhD by my next birthday and possibly even have a job in academia. Oh boy, how wrong I was, and I say this without the least trace of disappointment or regret. It has been a tough eight for everyone and while I have been more fortunate than many people, I ahve also coped pretty well from my side. My PhD hasn't progressed anywhere near as fast that I had hoped it would, but I managed to keep it moving throughout and it seems my arguements are beginning to fall into place now. I am also trying for a lectureship in my department. All in all, there is lots to do in the next six months and not much I can complain about at the moment.

I didn't do anything special today, but I had an early birthday celebration with two friends a few days ago. So, when people asked me what I was doing for my birthday, I had a ready answer. I wonder what I would have answered. Maybe I would have fibbed that I planned to celebrate it jointly with a friend who has his birthday tomorrow. I would definitely not have felt sorry for myself if there had been no celebration at all, but I am not above lying to appear to fit into social norms. Maybe one day I will have the confidence or nonchalance to not feel pressured to lie. maybe the pandemic will make flouting norms feel more normal, ro at least give flouters more confidence. 

No comments: