Monday, October 5, 2020

Employment Prospects

 I woke up in a funk today, so instead of going to uni and whiling away hours on Twitter and news website, I decided to go for a haircut and do some food shopping in the neighbourhood. It was a good idea because I was feeling much better when I reached uni around half 11. As soon as I booted my computer, I checked if they had advertised for job openings in my department and I discovered they had. The news threw me into a tizzy and I went from feeling demotivated about work to feeling nervous with excitement. After popping in to see my supervisor to convey my enthusiasm for the job, I started working on the logistical bits of the application to work off the nervous energy. I was too excited to do any actual writing, either for the application or on my thesis.

The next few weeks are going to be extremely busy. I am worried that I will be too focussed on my job application to work on my PhD, which will put me further behind. However, applying for jobs is not a month-long full-time job. So, I am going to try to work on my PhD thesis when I am bored of writing the application and vice versa, instead of trying to draw up a schedule of work and allocate a fixed number of hours to each endeavour. That ahs never worked for me. 

No comments: