Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Another Housemate To Exit

 When I got a mail from the landlady this morning telling us she will be dropping by for a viewing today, I took the news without missing a beat. My housemates have become so peripheral to my life that they are almost interchangeable. Don't get me wrong--I get along perfectly fine with them. But it would be a stretch to even call us acquaintances. And, I couldn't be more satisfied with this arrangement. I know this arrangement where I am indifferent ot people I am living with cannot go on for years. If nothing else, I will start to resent the presence of strangers in my habitation, eventually. But, six years into my second stint as a student, I feel I have reached the peak of adjustability. It has surprised me how adjustable I have become without becoming a doormat. It takes years to learn to carve out as small a pace as you can live in, but then occupying that fully. Not tolerating encroachments into your nook. 

Its not all hunky-dory though. While I have seen three housemate changes in the past 10 months, but the one I hope will move out steadfastly clings on. But, even she has been occupying less space in my head compared to a few months ago. 

No comments: