There are two ways to tackle loneliness, apart from doing nothing and letting the feeling pass. To seek company or to seek a higher quality of solitude. In Covid times (and for an international PhD student in a tiny programme) the latter is the easier option. I am going through a lean patch in my PhD, which is when boredom and loneliness are most likely to strike. So I decided to go in to uni today even though it was pelting, I walked because I would have been drenched if I had cycled. So, I walked to uni while listening to music on my phone. The walk was a slog because I was walking into a headwind but when I reached my office and saw the full-length window panes covered by water droplets (from the oustide) I knew it was worth it. The sight of water trickling down glass panes is strangely soothing to me, and watching the rain while jazz music playing was a capital experience. I didn't get much done in uni but that was expected. Since I have unfollowed people who post about India news on Facebook, my feed is full of dumb videos, which I enjoy watching. The walk back home was very pleasant too as I didn't have the wind in my face. All in all, my efforts to improve the quality of my solitude went well.
Friday, October 2, 2020
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment