Friday, October 30, 2020

Maxims for Winter

In the past few months, I have increased my reliance on maxims, so much so that I have them written on posit-it notes in fromnt of my desk at home and at work. What should my maxim be for getting through this winter, especially as I don't just want to survive, I want to thrive. Not only do I want to stay Covid-free, I want to finish my PhD and get a job. So, the universally applicable "this too shall pass" is not good enough. Other contenders? I am leaning towards something super simple like "breathe", which I have in front of my desk at work, but not at home. I have written before about how the breath transcends the physical, the mental and emotional spheres. When you focus on your breath, the world outside your body ceases to exist, if only for a few seconds. your body becomes your world. It is like a simultaneous physical, mental and emotional reset. I often feel a wave of calm wash over my body. The only comparable feeling in physical terms is when I experience sexual release. 
So, yes, I am going to go with "Breathe!". I don't need anything that makes me think because chances are my mind will be over-stimulated as it is. I definitely do not need something new-agey like "Allow yourself to feel what you are feeling".


No comments: