Saturday, October 24, 2020

Last Day of Saving Daylight

 The clocks go back tonight, and it will be dark by 5:00 pm tomorrow evening. I have a ritual yoga practice to mark the occasion, so at least that is something to look forward to. Usually, I would be writing about how the days go from being too long in summer to being too long in winter in a flash, with the optimal duration of day and night lasting for approximately a month each in spring and autumn. But, the end of daylight savings time this year is naturally clouded by Covid. We entered lockdown a few days after daylight savings began and it seems like we will be reentering lockdown again in a few weeks. We have only been locked down when the day were long. I don't know which is worse---being locked down in summer, or winter. To be honest, England was never under a strict lockdown and people religiously followed the lenient lockdown for approximately a month. After that, adherence dropped steadily. This time around, all indications are the public will not follow the lockdown. it is going to be an uncertain five months. 

No comments: