Sunday, October 25, 2020

The Long Winter Begins

 The clocks went back last night, making today the first day of winter. I am aware I am treating the end of daylight savings time as a momentous event, but for many of us it the start of a long difficult winter. I don't really mind the shorter days, although I feel discombobulated for the frst week or two on GMT. I spent five of the seven months of GMT+1 at home. Most people are still working from home, so they hae been home since March. I have a lot to do over the next five months--finish my PhD, apply to jobs, while trying not to catch Covid and not to get buffeted by world events--the U.S. election, the prospect of no-deal Brexit, and the progress of the pandemic. And, of course, whatever fresh horror emerges from India. So, it is understandable that may people, myself included, are going into this winter with a sense of trepidation. Who knows what my world and the world will look like when the clocks go forward five months from now? All I can do is pray and hope for the best.

No comments: