I set out to write a blog about conspiracy theories after a family friend with an advanced science degree forwarded a decidedly unscientific video which propagated a Covid conspiracy theory. I put up an oblique resistance because I was bored but didn't engage beyond a point. To be fair, a lot of people forward videos without watching them, so he may not have even seen the video. But, I hadn't expected him to be a conspiracy theorist. Many people have pointed out that both left-wingers and right-wingers are susceptible to Covid conspiracy theories. Let-wingers because they look at very incident through their capitalism-is-evil lens and right-wingers because they are bat-shit crazy. Each group is animated by a religion-like faith in their respective ideology, be it communism, fascism, white supremacy, etc. But, this family friend is a hippy who works on farms. I haven't interacted much with him recently, but I wouldn't categorize him as either a left-winger or a right-winger, more like an anarchist. Maybe anarchists are susceptible to it too. Prior to the pandemic, I would have tried to argue it out with this family friend. Now, I just can't be bothered. it was difficult enough to convince my mother to take the vaccine. So, I ma just going to adopt the attitude of "Ja, jee le apni zindagi, japte rehe apni conspiracy theory".--"Lead your life as you please, spout conspiracy theories if you wish'.
Thursday, August 12, 2021
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment