This evening, I was listening to a recording of my last meeting with my supervisor, in which she said, "The final stages of the PHD are like this: 12 hours of work, 12 hours of sleep until you have a better draft". Which is approximately twice my current working and sleeping run rate. I do remember a time when I could work 6-7 days a week to meet a pressing deadline but those days feel like they are from another lifetime. I have been suing the Pomodero technique to put in 5 hours of work a day, 5 days a week, and that feels like the upper limit of my ability. but, my PhD is moving and that is what is important. I have enough time to worry about whether I write too slowly for academia's publish or perish culture. Now is not the time to do that. I have to trust my writing process and trust that it will take me past the finishing line. Finishing the PhD is very important to me, but so is my mental well-being. I don't have a support network to lean on in Bristol, I am my own support network. I don't have anyone else to comfort me, reassure me that things are going fine, so I will just have to do that myself. Be the friend/loved one/lover I wish I had next to me right now.
Tuesday, June 22, 2021
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment