Sunday, June 13, 2021

Test and Trace Horror

Tomorrow was to be the first day of a three-week-long superhuman effort to finish the theoretical portion of my PhD. So, imagine my dismay when a friend told me that she had been notified by the NHS Test and Trace app that a person she had been in contact with had tested positive for Covid. Its been a few months since I was last worried about catching Covid myself. all my angst has been to do with the slow progress of my PhD. Now, Covid is jostling for space in my angst folder again. Soon, I will have to be ready for the possibility that one of my housemates will test positive for Covid, forcing me to self-isolate. and, all this on top fo the fear that I will catch Covid myself. Not ideal conditions for a last thesis push. but conditions haven't been ideal for a year and a half now and won't be ideal for goodness knows how long. I will just have to get on with my PhD. I feel a quiet determination to finish and do a great PhD. All I have to do is translate that into action. If this pandemic teaches us anything it is to cultivate tunnel-like focus. The ability to focus on a task in the midst of imminent doom.

No comments: