This morning, I woke up to a mail from Betty saying she was being unfriendly because she had been sexually assaulted and being around men was triggering for her. As I was getting ready for uni, an ambulance arrived at our door. Apparently, Betty had called for one in the night, and they hadn't gotten around to seeing her until around 6:30 am in the morning. They were still there when I left for uni, but Betty seemed okay. I was a bit shaken up by the incident, but it soon wore off. I am also feeling more kindly towards Betty. She didn't have to add me to the mail because I haven't spoken a word to her since the incident so it wasn't me who had tried to be friendly towards her and been rebuffed. I knew Betty's mental health was a mess, and she had suffered some trauma. With young women, the common for of trauma is sexual violence. But, telling someone something they already knew or had guessed is not a futile gesture. It indicates trust and also that you respect that person enough to confide in them because your behaviour is affecting them and you care about them. I replied to Betty saying 'sorry to hear that, thanks for telling us, take care, etc. Betty and I will never be friends, and I will continue to keep a watchful distance. But, at least the frost has thawed a bit. I realize I am making this all about myself. but, I think this is all I will hear about Bettys sexual assault.
Wednesday, June 9, 2021
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment