Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Four-Year-YWA and Counselling Anniversary

 When life is tough, it is important to celebrate milestones that remind you of how far you have come. Today is four years since I did my first Yoga with Adrienne session, which was also the day I had my first counselling session. Both have had a profound impact on me, and YWA continues to be a part of my life. On previous anniversaries, I wondered how long I would continue with YWA and whether I would shift to something else. I can confidently say that I have no plans of quitting YWA any time soon. 

I am struggling to finish my PhD, my housemates are yanking my nerves, post-PhD life is a blank slate, my shoulder has been troubling for a year, and Covid has made the loneliness and isolation of PhD life five times as worse. So, today, is a good day to remind myself that I will get through this because I have gotten through worse. I wasn't sure whether the dark clouds in my head would ever clear, I wasn't sure whether I would feel anything but anger towards a loved one, I wasn't sure if I would return to the UK to finish my PhD, and I wasn't sure if I would ever feel happy again. As lousy as I feel right now, it doesn't compare to the hopelessness and desperation I felt four years ago. Neither YWA nor counselling worked like magic. It required me to tap reserves of diligence, persistence and patience I never knew I had. And, it taught me the importance of keeping the faith in turbulent waters. The answer to all the questions plaguing me four years ago was as a resounding yes. I will overcome my present tribulations too. 

No comments: