Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Foot in Mouth

Over  the past one week, there have been two occasions I put my foot in my mouth, and with the same person. Speak first, think later is a bad strategy and can cause hurt. I have written before on how its best not use humour as an antidote for anger or frustration unless the target of the joke is oneself. And how, if one is displeased with someone, one should either suck it up or tell them about it, not get back at them indirectly through mean jokes. But, the person I goofed up with is someone I am quite fond off, so I don't know what  was the dynamic playing out there. Boredom, I suppose? There was a time in my life I was quite unhappy with myself, which reflected in my  jokes. And, when the jokes caused offence, I hated myself even more. I am not going to go so far as to stay every mean joke comes from a bad place in oneself. Sometimes, one just blurts out the first thing that comes to mind and regrets it immediately. But being at peace with oneself definitely reduces the chances of cracking mean jokes. 

No comments: