Saturday, February 29, 2020

Leap Day

Since today comes once every few years, what better way to look back to four year ago? Since I didn't have a blog then, I don't remember what I was doing on 28th February, 2016, but I can remember the period. I was at home in Thane, having finished my course the previous December and applying to PhD programmes. I remember the BJP government had declared war on the left by slapping sedition charges on JNU students earlier that month. I was in Delhi when that happened and marched with the students of JNU, demanding the charges be revoked. The atmosphere was electric and I was so moved that I was in quarter of  my mind to ditch my plan of going abroad for my PhD and apply to JNU. However, my enthusiasm started to wane after I returned to Mumbai and after a few weeks I had abandoned my plan.
That was an agonizing long summer. The demons in my head had started to sway but had broken into a dance. That would come in the monsoons, as I was recovering from second brush with dengue. But, looking back, the signs was there. Feelings of resentment towards one of my parents would suddenly bubble up. I suffered bouts of nerves before two English-language tests which were easy as could be. Since I fancied myself as a cool cucumber I was puzzled by my nervousness.
I have talked about what came later in bits and pieces on the blog. Suffice to say that my life has turned out exactly how I hoped it would four years ago. I have so much to be grateful for and I try not to take it for granted. I await  the years to the next leap day with hope and anticipation.

No comments: