Friday, February 21, 2020

Mental Support

Being around someone who seems to depressed is difficult. Their presence is draining and if they disappear, one is worried. Its worse if the person unlikely to ever accept that he is depressed. I say he because men are less likely to accept that they are depressed and need help. Women internalize their mental illness, hold it close to them as they are worried it may affect those around them. Men refuse to admit they are sick and are likely to be unaware of indifferent to the disturbance their sickness is causing to those around them. Heaven forbid you mention the "D' word with reference to them!
So how does one support someone who is all of the above? I wish I could be an oasis of calm and non-judgement, serene as the spring sun. But it is difficult. One falls into advice-giving mode easily and then is miffed if that advice falls upon deaf ears. 

No comments: