Judging when to prioritize self-care over care of others is a difficult decision. I was recently faced with such a situation and I made the choice to step back. The logistics of setting boundaries have still to be sorted out, but I have made my decision. Being around someone with mental health issues who doesn't know it and is unlikely to seek help can be incredibly draining. At such times, it is perfectly reasonable to do a cold cost-benefit calculation of continued engagement with that person. I realized I was overestimating my ability to be a force for good in the situation. Self-care doesn't mean putting putting yourself first no matter what the situation. Self-care is about listening to yourself, and to figure out what is the best possible way forward for everyone involved. It is about being conscious of your own limits and taking action when the limit is being reached.
The decision to step back wasn't easy as I have faced mental health issues in the past myself. I don't take granted for a moment all the love and support I received from family and friends. But, treading the long road back to a place of stability was one of the most difficult things I have ever done. It required not just the will to work hard but acceptance that I needed help and some things would have to wait no matter what the costs to my dignity. Ultimately, everyone must take responsibility for their own happiness.
No comments:
Post a Comment