Last week, when my bike gave up on me, it stressed me out quite a bit. I felt overwhelmed as it happened during a stressful situation at uni. The repair journey was long and chequered, and as I found out this morning, is ongoing. But, my reaction this time was quite different. As I walked to uni, I felt upbeat. The snag with my bike seemed like it would be simple to sort out with the right tools.
Turns out it won't be simple to sort out and I will have to take it to the repair shop. Yes, an annoying distraction when I am struggling to wrap up the most critical chapter of my PhD. But, I don't feel stressesd. Maybe it caught me on a good day, maybe I have become more Zen like. I realize that my PhD journey has been very unencumbered compared to most people's. No wife or partner or kids or ailing parents, or financial troubles, or health troubles to worry about. A troublesome bike is hardly a problem worth mentioning. Worst comes to worst, I will have to ditch it and buy a new one. That will be annoying since I don't know if I will be in Bristol or even England after this year and was hoping to make do with this one until I did. But, that's not the end of the world.
No comments:
Post a Comment