Sunday, June 16, 2019

Jokey McJokeFace

I have never been the class jester/clown and neither have I ever fancied myself as one. It has long been clear to me that in order to find someone funny, you need to like them first. The question of wit, comic timing and ability to read the audience arises only if likeability can been established. My introverted personality doesn't exude the warmth that paves the way for likability, and so the question of being a jester seldom arises. This fact has never bothered me.
However, I have noticed myself taking up the mantle of jester with increasing frequency in the past six-eight months. This usually happens either when I am in the company of people I get along well with or when I am bored in a group. Entertaining with quips that border on meanness is not a very pleasant thing to do, and I try to restrain myself. But during the recent summer school in Italy, I found myself unable to control myself.
It wasn't like I was bored. But, being perceived as funny and witty is addictive and when my jokes drew a few laughs I felt the need to continue and push the envelope. I frequently made jokes that crossed the border between mean and sardonic and felt a little guilty afterwards. There are many kinds of funny. There is the center-of-attention, good-at-miming-and-story-telling kind of  funny. And then there is the more understated quick-witty-response kind of funny where time is of the essence. One doesn't have time to reflect whether one is being inappropriate or mean.
Nonetheless, getting the mix between naughtiness and self-deprecation is tricky. This is a new facet of my behaviour and I don't quite know what to make of it. I am not going to psycho-analyze myself but I want to reflect enough so that I don't turn into a jerk. When you are a man and often in the company of women whom you consciously or unconsciously try to impress, it is a slippery slope to jerkdom by way of wit alley.
Which is why it is best to only crack jokes when you are feeling cheerful and content with the world at large. Else, jokes can easily become an outlet for anger and frustration, which exponentially increases the possibility of causing offence. When one is feeling angry or low, it is best to keep a low profile. 

No comments: