I was surprised when I realized that I haven't written about forgiveness before, considering how much I struggled with it not so long ago. The target of my ire was one of the most important people in my life and along the way, I learned that it was more a question of acceptance than forgiveness. Acceptance of myself, and of that person. I am still not clear about the difference between the two. Is forgiveness reserved for certain grave actions or words and acceptance for general personality traits? I spent much of yesterday consumed with antipathy towards two people, which spilled over to today. I feel it is very difficult to be angry with someone without being at least a little angry at yourself for letting them treat you that way. There are only three options when faced with an undesirable situation or disagreeable behaviour. Flight, fight or forgive. Remove yourself from the situation, confront the person or find a way to forgive them and move on. Of course, our capacity to forgive is far from infinite. And repeatedly calling upon our powers of forgiveness can weigh on our nerves as well as self-respect. Knowing which option to pick is easier said than done, but it is useful to frame the choice as of three options.
All the three options are not mutually exclusive. For instance, one can opt for forgiveness while at the same time choosing to put some distance between oneself and the offending person. But this framework limits the horizon of options and hopefully brings more clarity to the issue.
All the three options are not mutually exclusive. For instance, one can opt for forgiveness while at the same time choosing to put some distance between oneself and the offending person. But this framework limits the horizon of options and hopefully brings more clarity to the issue.
No comments:
Post a Comment