Prizes bring out a hidden competitive streak in me. Today, I didn't win the prize for best presentation, but received gushing praise from a number of audience members. After the presentation but before the prize ceremony I could feel my head swell with conceit. I felt invincible at the time and didn't like feeling that way. Pride comes in the way of good research as it blinds you. And, the prouder you become, the smaller is the universe of work you think deserves your attention. I sometimes struggle to deal with pride, even though I am assume that being aware of this problem is an achievement in itself. I am 100% sure that had I achieved great success when I was younger I would have been insufferable. Occasional failures for some people are not just inevitable but essential. There is no point in feeling guilty about conceit. Feelings always give to other feelings.
Friday, June 21, 2019
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment