Yesterday, I attended a panel discussion on solidarity in Europe. It was quite an interesting discussion and I am glad I went. Some speakers raised the difference between solidarity and charity and how the former was preferable to the latter. But, when but I found it curious that they only talked about refugees and asylum-seekers. I am going to say something controversial here, while fully acknowledging my privilege as a white-collar immigrant. Unlike refugees, I didn't go through untold honours to reach England, except for some mild hazing from the Home Office. But, the talk made it sound like only people of colour who were in distress were worthy of solidarity (or charity). One must acknowledge that the refugees who make it to Europe are privileged in their countries of origin and have the resources to make the expensive trip to Europe. The least privileged die in their crisis-stricken homelands.
My specific question to the panel would have been--do you believe in open borders and is it possile to conceive of a EU with open borders? Or is Europe only for Europeans and for a few deserving non-Europeans. What is a European identity that isn't irreducible to whiteness? Isn't solidarity typically invoked against a common enemy, and if not, what is the difference between solidarity and empathy or charity?
My specific question to the panel would have been--do you believe in open borders and is it possile to conceive of a EU with open borders? Or is Europe only for Europeans and for a few deserving non-Europeans. What is a European identity that isn't irreducible to whiteness? Isn't solidarity typically invoked against a common enemy, and if not, what is the difference between solidarity and empathy or charity?
No comments:
Post a Comment