I'm back after a short holiday with family. Technically, I am still on holiday but back from a trip on which I hadn't taken my laptop. While I have realized I am generally more content when I am blogging and doing yoga, some days without either can be good too. The days leading up to the trip were intense on both the personal and professional front. While my first instinct would be to write about it, maybe it was good that I couldn't while I was on the trip. I have a tendency to over-analyze and over-reflect, which leads me to sometimes make mountains out of molehills. Now that I am back from my trip, the mountain before my eyes seems more like a molehill.
While blogging and therapy writing are an indispensable part of my life they are not my whole life. Anything pushed to an extreme can be counterproductive, and navel-gazing more than other things. In recent years, I have seen writing as a healthy outlet for my tendency to overthink and over-analyze, but it can become addictive. If one must overthink, one is better off putting it down on paper instead of having a whirlpool in one's head.
But, having something to write about can push me to overthink. Which is why I thin maybe it is a good idea to have a time limit for how much time I spend on an individual post. I am also aware that one writes and learns, and one's relationship with writing changes over time. A style or frequency of writing that might be useful at one point of time, may not be at another.
While blogging and therapy writing are an indispensable part of my life they are not my whole life. Anything pushed to an extreme can be counterproductive, and navel-gazing more than other things. In recent years, I have seen writing as a healthy outlet for my tendency to overthink and over-analyze, but it can become addictive. If one must overthink, one is better off putting it down on paper instead of having a whirlpool in one's head.
But, having something to write about can push me to overthink. Which is why I thin maybe it is a good idea to have a time limit for how much time I spend on an individual post. I am also aware that one writes and learns, and one's relationship with writing changes over time. A style or frequency of writing that might be useful at one point of time, may not be at another.
No comments:
Post a Comment