Friday, July 5, 2019

Sugar Bore

I am fast acquiring the reputation of being a Sugar Bore among friends and family because I have the annoying habit of reading out loud labels on food packages for their sugar content. At first, it was out of amazement at how much sugar certain foodstuffs contain, including food that is not seen as 'sweet' such as ketchup, or mayonnaise or cola. Now, it has become something of a habit. I try to eat healthy, but sugar is the only thing I really take care to avoid. I have noticed that the less sugar you eat, the more you become sensitive to it. For example, a bar of KitKat feels intolerably sweet to me now. 
While I care about the health of friends and family, it is easy to descend into moralizing and virtue-signalling. My behavious might even be perceived as fat-shaming since I am of lean build, so I  am careful to only dispense advice to close family and friends. Ultimately, what adults put into their bodies is their own choice. It is easier for some people to resist some foodstuffs and more difficult for others not necessarily because they have weaker wills but also possibly because their bodies are different. Listening to your body is more prudent than doggedly starving yourself of a particular foodstuff. And  on days when I am feeling especially drained after a heavy workout, sugar is what comes to the rescue and possibly staves off illness. 

No comments: