It is easy to mistake preferences for conscious moral positions. I am not a fan of travelling or shopping,so it is easy for me to judge those who are since both activities are bad for a planet. I am also not leaning towards not wanting kids, so I can also explain that choice as stemming from concern for an overpopulated planet. But, what good does that do to anyone? How can one express concern for the planet without sounding sanctimonious. And given the scale of the climate emergency, does it even matter if one sounds sanctimonious. How does one change social norms such as conspicuous consumption, travel for leisure and having children without acting those norms as immoral? And, if one does so, doesn't one open oneself up to people policing you for the slightest deviation from your moral position so that they can dismiss you as a hypocrite? These are all questions I have no answer, including to the question of whether these questions matter.
Sunday, July 28, 2019
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment