I just read an article about a black Christian man protesting at the Bristol Pride march. The article took me back to Amsterdam Pride, which I had attended four years ago. There, too, were black Christians warning the Pride marchers that they would be damned by God for sodomy. Sights like these are so cringeworthy. Christianity was brought to most parts of Asia and Africa by white colonizers, and now you have Black Christians who think they are saving Christianity by rounding against white gay people. The colonized who learned the lessons of the colonizers better than they were supposed to it and are throwing them back at the colonizers. This is not to say that indigenous cultures in Asia or Africa are not homophobic. But I'm guessing most of the protesters at these events are Christians. Another manifestation of the pernicious legacy of colonialism.
Sunday, July 14, 2019
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment