Pride breeds complacence and stems from ignorance. If you are feeling too smart, chances are you not fishing in the right waters or at least not deep enough. Feeling a little dumb is a motor for research, because if you already know most things worth knowing, research becomes a performance for the sake of your vanity.
This morning, I found myself absorbed in a topic that was fascinating and bewildering in equal measure. It is essential to feel both emotions towards a research topic. I am bewildered by quantum theory but not fascinated by it. I am fascinated by yoga but not bewildered by it. Which is why I don't research quantum physics or yoga. I am extremely fortunate that I am both fascinated and bewildered by my current research interests. The fascination pushes me towards the topic, the bewilderment encourages me to explore it deeper. Where does pride come in? Nowhere, because pride encourages performance and stunts the spirit of inquiry.
This morning, I found myself absorbed in a topic that was fascinating and bewildering in equal measure. It is essential to feel both emotions towards a research topic. I am bewildered by quantum theory but not fascinated by it. I am fascinated by yoga but not bewildered by it. Which is why I don't research quantum physics or yoga. I am extremely fortunate that I am both fascinated and bewildered by my current research interests. The fascination pushes me towards the topic, the bewilderment encourages me to explore it deeper. Where does pride come in? Nowhere, because pride encourages performance and stunts the spirit of inquiry.
No comments:
Post a Comment