Sometimes when I am feeling blue, I play youtube videos of patients and staff of children's cancer hospitals performing Rachel Patten's "Fight Song". The videos never fail to bring tears to my eyes. If you think you have a getting a raw deal in life, there is no better way to give you a sense of perspective. But, it is not just a question of just telling yourself that at least you don't have it as bad as children afflicted with cancer and to pull yourself together. More than that, it is the love and courage in the eyes of the patients and staff. I try to draw on the reservoirs of love and courage that are found in these places. The ability to disregard a person's looks, colour, gender body type and see them as another human just as deserving of love as you is very powerful. It frees you from being captive to your first impressions of them and appreciate them for just being human (of course this can be extended to any living thing that is not bothering you). I am not suggesting we turn ourselves into saints. But a little kindness, at least in thought, if not in words or actions, can go a long way. I know I went off on a tangent here, but I am satisfied.
Wednesday, July 31, 2019
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment