I always thought my officemate was a straight-as-a-arrow nerd. I was right about the nerd part but he is not as rule-abiding as I thought he was. It turns out he told his class not to bother submitting the formative assignments, and now I have a newfound respect for him. Like me, he is on a "teaching" track where we are supposed to give students as much care and attention as would a private school, and gives zero fucks. He skips seminar questions he doesn't like and now this. I should take some lessons from him. Grading on one of the modules has caused me a lot of grief and I need to remind myself not to care so much about it. if the unit director thinks my marks are too low, I can bump the grades up, I don't care. You want me to give a mediocre assignment an 80, I will, I don't care. I refuse to see your comments on my grading as a reflection of my ability because I am not doing my best and I don't want to do my best. I am not going to build a career in this place so I just need to make sure I don't screw up. Don't be the last to turn grades in, don't pick fights with students or staff, don't bring unwanted attention to yourself. This is just a landing pad as I come out of my PhD. That's all it is.
Friday, November 26, 2021
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment