I have never studies mainstream micro as an undergrad. I taught half a semester as an undergrad but that was piddly stuff compared to this. These people tach mainstream economics quite soundly. You can question how useful it is, but they know their stuff. The logic is sound, they are clear about their assumptions, and they have a reasonably good idea of what's happening in the real world. And, I must admit, I am having to exert myself to keep up. I am having to learn so that I can teach and realizing that there are different layers of understanding, even for introductory economics concepts. I shouldn't reach the deeper layers at the first go. But every iteration deepens my understanding of the issue. I am struggling so that my students don't suffer because of my disillusionment with mainstream economics. It is also a humbling experience. Sometimes, we dismiss something as unsound just because we don't understand it. And unsound is not the same as unrealistic and useless, which I still believe mainstream economics is, for the most part.
Sunday, November 28, 2021
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment